To ensure equal rights, education and social integration in the University’s community, the University for Foreigners of Perugia provides support services for students with special educational needs, disability and specific learning disabilities (dyslexia, dysgraphia, dysorthography, dyscalculia).
The Service provides support for students with special needs and disability, but also for students with specific learning disorders.
Support services are granted for the entire duration of the student's academic career from admission tests to graduation. We offer a range of customized services to be agreed upon request, due to the student’s specific characteristics.
In case of special needs during an academic year, the following services are available for students:
- peer tutoring: an University student within the second year beyond the official time limit who carries out various support activities
- specialized educator with specific technical competences that can help everyone by Pedagogical counseling on the Method of study
- mediation of the dean's delegate with faculty to request the possibility to:
- ask teachers some PowerPoint before lessons
- ask teachers some tests of last years and check them together during lessons
- have digital books (PDF), asking to the University Librar
- ask for help with specific tools that can help students with special needs
- ask for recording of the lesson, or for photos of the PowerPoints or things showed in class.
On exams, students can have:
- extra time (about 30%) for written exam
- extra time to think about the answer during the oral exam
- digital version of the written exams
- Pc with the possibility of orthographical corrections and vocal synthesis programs
- an educator that helps students in reading manners
- the use of conceptual maps, notes with keywords and formularies
- the exam can be divided into different partial test
- the written exam can be done as an oral exam
- modification of the type of written test, for example, from open question to multiple choice questions
- the teacher can take care of contents instead of form
- the teacher can take care of procedures instead of results
Important: is not possible to ask for a reduction of the exams’ programs.
What to do
The student must submit the documentations required to request these measures. He/she must also have an interview with a delegate from the Inclusiveness Committee to understand and identify the services needed by the student.
The diagnosis is valid if:
- it’s in English or Italian
- it contains nosographic codes (https://icd.who.int/en)
- it was made by National Health Service, or a private center valid in your nation
- it was made after the majority (18 years old) or three years before at leas
If you don’t have this kind of documentation, ask for support, we can help you!